The Carriage Road is the original road from the Mt. Philo Inn to the summit of Mt. Philo. The MPI once owned Mt. Philo and completed the road to the the top for tourists in 1903. The summit and 232 acres were donated to the state of Vermont in 1924 creating Vermont’s 1st state park.
Today we use the Carriage Road as a walking path to access Mt. Philo State Park.
Finding the Carriage Road:
From the phone booth: Follow Inn Road up the hill past the Inn. Turn Left at the old red stone foundation wall on the left. Walk North across the foundation of the original barn. This is the Carriage Road, which started from the back of the barn. Continue straight on across the grassy terrace, through the forest of black willows and sugar maples, until you reach the tarred Summit Road.
From the stairwell exit: Cross the fountain garden and upper parking lot into our upper grassy terrace, then follow the signs North toward the tall trees. Find the tall row of black willows.